Public Works / Utilities
Department of Public Works
With a staff of seven, the Department of Public Works encompasses a wide array of city services which include repair, maintenance, sweeping and snow plowing of an average of 250+ inches of snow annually with continually updated equipment. Snow removal is also completed as time and weather permits for 2 miles of state trunkline, 7.5 miles of major streets and 11.5 miles of local streets and 25 miles of alleyways.
The Department of Public Works also performs
- Gravel street maintenance
- Tree trimming
- Sign maintenance
- Pavement marking
- Pavement patching
- Sidewalk plowing
- Downtown street light replacement
- Downtown seasonal decorating
- Restoration of utility excavation
- Annual residential spring and fall compost collection City wide
- Grounds keeping, refuse collection and mowing for all City parks and recreation areas
- Maintains the grounds, non-portable water supply and burials at the Maple Grove Cemetery
The Department of Public Works does its best in striving to meet the needs and requests of the city's residents as manpower, equipment and time permit.
(906) 387-5553 or (906) 387-2095
Steve Dausey • Shawn Bosley • Joe Hillier • Scott Steinhoff • Mike Sowa • Bill Belen • Terry Viau, Mechanic • Tom Anderson
Visit the city documents webpage for the city fee schedule, permits and forms.
The Water Distribution / Sewer Collection Department is comprised of two employees who maintain more than 35+ miles of water main and services, 25 miles of sanitary sewer main and 20 miles of storm sewer main.
»2015 City of Munising - Industrial Park Water Quality Report
- Review reports of sanitary sewer backups, water leaks, ditching and storm water problems.
- Repair broken mains, structures and appurtenances relating to the city's portion of these utility systems in accordance with state and federal requirements.
- Service and maintain over 1,000 water meters and exercise the 100+ hydrants and water main valves in the system, respectively.
The operations director and water distribution foreman are the MDEQ licensed operators for the city's water distribution system. This department also performs all of the Miss Dig utility staking requests within the city, cross-connection inspections and submission of the required reports to the MDEQ for compliance. Site plan review for replacement, installation and/or repair of water, sanitary and storm sewer is also reviewed and inspected by the water department. During the winter month this department may also be called upon for thawing water mains and services throughout the city.
The water distribution department's primary goal is continuing to supply safe water to all of the city's water utility customers.
Ryan Anderson • Sean Cornish
- Operate and maintain all drinking water production wells and reservoirs.
- Monitor drinking water quality including fluoride on a daily basis.
- Sample and analyze entire city and industrial park water systems for bacterial contamination.
- Operate and maintain a state-licensed laboratory for analysis of water including a complete quality control and quality assurance program.
- Operate and maintain a complete mix activated sludge wastewater treatment plan.
- Operate and maintain five pumping stations including handling all wastewater from Alger Max, 7 days a week, 8 hours a day operation including preventive maintenance and QA, AC program.
- Laboratory analysis run daily to determine process control activities.
- Protect Anna River and Lake Superior from contamination.
- Staff includes 1 supervisor, 1 maintenance foreman, 1 lab tech. and two operators.
Ron Kleiman, Superintendant
Wastewater Treatment Plant
Lee Curtis, Maintenance Foreman • Jason Gauthier, Lab Tech •
Nicholas Bogater, Operator